Does your Valentine have four legs, fur and cute little black nose? For many of us, our dogs are our Valentines. Who else loves us so unconditionally and is always there, no matter what? While your dog needs to stay far away from the V-day chocolates, there are many other ways to show your furry Valentine you care.
Here are a few ideas:
- Go for a special walk together and allow your dog to take his time, smelling deep and as often as he wants. Smells are absolute delights to your dog, so don’t rush his joy.
- Knit matching pink and red scarves.
- Bake heart-shaped liver treats. Pan fry some chicken or beef liver, allow it to cool then place in a food processor with a tablespoon plain yogurt and blend until smooth. Fill a silicone heart tray up with the treats, cover and place in the freezer. After a day, pop the heart shaped treats out and put them in a ziplock bag. Take one out as a special treat a few times a week. Your dog will love them!
- Write a poem for your dog and read it to him by candlelight.Register your dog on one of the many lost pet registries. All you need is your dog’s microchip number and you can tie your contact info to your pet. If you’ve already done this, Valentine’s Day is a great time to make sure all of your contact info is up to date. In the scary case of your dog getting lost, you want to do everything you possibly can to get him back to you as quickly as possible. Here are a few of the pet registries:
- Find a Professional Animal Bodyworker in your area and schedule a 30-minute massage for your dog. Their muscles get sore too!
- If you are lucky enough to live in an area with a canine aquatic center, schedule a time for a swim.
- Sign up for a refresher obedience class. Taking a class together is a great way to renew the bond you share with your dog.
- If your dog doesn’t go to doggie daycare on a regular basis, treat him to a few days! He will love the attention and play time while you are at work or running errands. You might even find you want to incorporate it into your regular routine.
Celebrate your love shared! Valentine’s Day isn’t just for humans. Love comes in all shapes and sizes and nothing beats that happy dance and tail wags when the two of you are together. Happy Valentine’s Day!